Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Majesty of Galaxies

For this piece, I picked the theme of disguise. Often, in everyday life we believe that God is completely invisible to us, and we forget that the creation around us, is an image of its creator. However, one medium alone did not convey the picture I imagined, so this piece is done in a variety of mediums, including watercolor, oil pastel, chalk pastel, acrylic, colored pencil, marker, and even whiteout. Through the project I had a variety of difficulties trying to correctly convey the idea of galaxies while forming the face of Jesus Christ. However, the mixing of a variety of mediums was very successful.

Overall the piece was completely successful, it turned out almost exactly the way I imagined it. I'm most proud of the top section, yet to me it is also the most distracting part. If I could, I would have planned it out a bit better as to improve the proportions of the face, and I would have sanded to board more. From this, I learned the importance of basic sketches, even on the final draft. I also learned that one can add layers of various mediums to blend out a color or achieve a desired effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment